Photographers have no problem creating compelling images, but sometimes they struggle explaining their thoughts in writing. If you have an interesting project but can’t find the words to explain it here are a few tips to help you get started.
People who see your photos are always curious about you, your motivations and the actions you took to make the photos. Below are some common questions they will have about you and your work. Simply choose the questions that apply to you and write a few paragraphs that answer them. There’s no need to include the questions in your article. And don’t feel compelled to answer questions that don’t apply to the project.
- What is your project about?
- Why did you choose the subject?
- What inspired you to do it?
- How long is the duration of the project…was it a one-time thing or is it ongoing?
- What obstacles did you face and how did you overcome them?
- What are the technical aspects of the project (camera, lens, film, post processing, etc
- What have you learned from the experience?
- What would you do differently?
- What advice can you give someone who wants to do something similar?
Sometimes you may want to explain something about individual photos. Here are some questions readers may have in their mind about a particular photo they find interesting. Where appropriate use one of these questions as a guide to write a sentence or two about some of your photos.
- What problem(s) did you have in making this image and how did you solve it (them)?
- What were the conditions (light, weather, environment)?
- What, if any, special equipment or techniques did you use to make this image (camera, lens, lighting gear, post processing)?
- Any interesting story you have about the photo and what was happening at the time.
What to include with your project
- Your article in a Word document or plain text file (add an image name on a line by itself to show us where it goes in the article.
- Your article should be approximately 1200 words in length.
- 6–10 photos sized at 1600px wide at 72dpi (in a zip file if possible)
- A photo of yourself which will be published a 200px square
- A short bio of 1–2 paragraphs
- A list of your online links (website, Flickr, 500px, Tumblr, Facebook, etc.)
Email your article and photos to: bob[at]streetphotographymagazine.com