Last month I had the honor of being invited to judge a street photography contest help by the Chapel Hill Camera Club in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. The club is made up of many very experienced and talented photographers who had not tried street photography until now.
I was blown away by the quality of the work produced by several of the participants, so this month we are using the Street Shooters of the Month section to show you some of the outstanding photos from the contest.
Boys on the Move by Robert Blum
This picture was taken when I was traveling northern India in 2012. I was on a road in a small village when a group of boys were walking past me heading to a street fair.
Street Shadows by Robert Vance
Street Shadows was photographed in September 2008 in Berkeley, CA, along Milvia Street near Bancroft Way, using a Sony DSLR-A350 camera, 1/125 sec at f/18, iso 100, 50mm. People with their shadows are moving in opposite directions.
Domingo, un Guajiro. Pinar del Rio 2018 by Tony Ulcher
Domingo runs a tobacco farm in Pinar del Rio, Cuba. His effort is “rewarded” by being allowed to keep and sell 10% of his crop to tourists (the other 90% is purchased by the Cuban government). His farm is accessible only by horseback, and his fields are maintained using ox-powered plows or by hand.
Street Scene in Bari Italy by Robert Blum
This picture was taken in an older neighborhood in Bari Italy when an old man on a bike with his dog in the basket stopped to look at me. Also, the dog on a chain wondered why I was there.
Summertime by Diane Cashion
Unplugged and enjoying a warm, North Carolina, summer afternoon, these teens create a timeless image. All worries and concerns have been left behind and friendship is all that matters at this precious moment in time. Captured at water’s edge, Jordan Lake, N.C.
Just Walk on By by Ray Tice
I have always been interested in photography but only since 2017 have I had the time to develop at least some of the skills needed to produce higher quality images. In September, 2021, I was in New York City on a National Parks at Night guided photo trip, where the primary focus was night and architectural photography. It was early evening and I was on my way back to my hotel on West 34th Street to get ready for our evening outing when I noticed a homeless person stretched out on the sidewalk opposite my hotel. Behind him was a narrow walkway to a locked door that would allow me to take pictures of his bare feet with people passing by. I used a Nikon D850 with a 28-300 lens at 150 mm, f/5.6 and 1/100 sec on a short tripod. I tried different exposures so that the people passing by would be slightly blurred. I tried different crops and this one seemed to be the best.
Hot Dog Reflections by Robert Blum
While in Reykjavik Iceland as I walked by, I saw this couple sitting by the window eating hot dogs. They saw that I wanted to take their picture and the posed for me. I learned later those hot dogs are ubiquitous and beloved in Iceland.
Bella Giornata by Diane Cashion
As I strolled through the seaside town of Camogli, just north of Cinque Terra, Italy, I spotted this couple enjoying the warmth of the afternoon sun as summer faded into autumn. They sat beneath a wall of crumbling paint and plaster that, for all intents and purposes, could have served as an inspiration for the famous Spanish painter, Joan Miro. Art can be found in the most unexpected places!
The Chapel Hill Camera Club, located in Chapel Hill, NC (https://www.chapelhillcameraclub.org), was founded in 1978 and currently has 70 members. The club has meetings 4 times a month with one meeting dedicated to a photography-related presentation and another meeting where we have a critique/competition of member submitted images. In the competition, we have a theme and a non-theme sections; the theme is selected by the judge who generally had previously been a presenter. We were fortunate to have Bob Patterson speak on Street Photography and a month later Bob was our judge, with a theme of Street Photography. Sixty-five images were submitted to the theme; some of the ones rated highly are provided here.
~ Ray Tice, Chapel Hill Camera Club